Have ever you experienced smelling something nice or different and it having an effect on you? Yes, even our sense of smell could have a direct effect on our mood and how we feel. And this is the principle behind aromatheraphy. In fact it’s defined as the use of natural oils which induces physical and psychological well being.
Aromatheraphy is also a form or alternative or traditional medicine that is used to promote health naturally. Often time people use aromatheraphy to induce specific moods and feelings or reduce stress and pain caused by physical ailments.
Different scents trigger different reactions. You should know that there are several types of scents which offer a different effect on the person’s mood and feeling. It is essential that you understand what particular scent can relieve your ailment. You can get the specific scent you want from oils, candles, soaps, and even perfumes. There are also a lot of variations that you can choose from with each scent having a different effect.
Here are some of the common scents available and their effects:
- Cedar wood– this has a woody, sweet scent. The effects on the body is both soothing and strengthening. This kind of scent is used for treating Dandruff and arthritis.
- Chamomile- it has a sweet, crisp scent which can be relaxing and soothing. You may want to use this scent if you have a headache, experiencing insomnia and nausea. This can also be effective in reducing stress.
- Eucalyptus– this scent is characterized by a fresh and earthy smell. It balances and stimulates your body. This provides relief for colds, poor blood circulation and arthritis.
- Ginger– this scent is commonly used for treating nausea and colds. It is characterized by a warm and spicy aroma which can be warming if inhaled.
- Jasmine- the scent provides a soothing and calming effect for people who are suffering from depression and mental tension. It has a floral and exotic scent which calms and reduces stress levels.
- Lavender– It is characterized by a fruity and fresh aroma. It can have a calming and therapeutic effect on the body. It’s a great remedy for people with depression, muscle pain, anxiety and burns.
- Lemongrass-this scent has a fresh and lemony aroma to it. This helps relax the muscles and a great stress releaser. It’s great for relieving muscle pain.
- Peppermint– it has a fresh and strong minty aroma. It helps refresh and stimulate the body. This is a good remedy for people who are experiencing headache and nausea.
- Sandal wood – the scent is characterized by a rich delicate and sweet aroma. It can be warming and relaxing to people. This can be a great relief for stress and anxiety.
- Vanilla– it has a rich and warm scent which could be stimulating and relaxing for the body. It is also a great scent for people suffering from depression and anxiety.
Smelling different scents can trigger different reactions from your body. If you want to relax and feel refreshed you now know that specific scents could have a soothing effect on your mind and body. So why not use aromatheraphy to relax your body and lighten up your mood. The next time you start reaching out for your pills; why not experiment with scents and oils to help relieve your tired and stressed body naturally.