Osteoporosis is one of the most common ailments of adults over the age of 50 and it is definitely a problem that people do not want to live with. Weak bones lead to fractures and many other scary problems that could leave you disabled.
Before turning into full-blown osteoporosis, osteopenia – the process of thinning bones – precedes the ailment. There are some warning signs to look for to determine if your bones are in fact thinning.
Here are some warning signs for osteoporosis:
- Warning Sign #1 – You’ve had more than one fracture in the past two years or a fracture that seemed pretty severe considering the circumstances.
- Warning Sign #2 – You are naturally a small or thin person.
- Warning Sign #3 – You have an autoimmune condition that causes you to take prednisone or another corticosteroid.
- Warning Sign #4 – You are a smoker and have been throughout your adult life.
- Warning Sign #5 – You drink more than two alcoholic beverages a day.
- Warning Sign #6 – You do not drink milk, or you have a lactose intolerance that prevents you from drinking milk.
- Warning Sign #7 – You have an eating disorder.
- Warning Sign #8 – You are an Asian or Caucasian female over the age of 50.
- Warning Sign #9 – You have a family member who had osteoporosis before the age of 50 or before menopause.