- Besides containing 40 percent of your daily value of vitamin C, it also contains 15 percent of your daily value of vitamin A, 8 percent of your daily value of potassium, and 7 percent of your recommended dietary allowance of iron for women and 10 percent for men.
- Lycopene, what gives tomatoes their red pigment, acts as an antioxidant, neutralizing free radicals that can damage cells in the body.
- Studies show that men who at least eat 10 servings of tomatoes a week can reduce their risk of developing prostate cancer by a whopping 45 percent.
Recipe: Tomato Casserole with Sweet Onions
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 large Vidalia onion or other sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, or scant ½ teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or scant ½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Place peeled tomato wedges on paper towels to drain. Peel onions and slice into ¼-inch rings. In separate bowl combine dill, thyme, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Layer half of the tomatoes and onions in a lightly buttered baking dish and top with half of the minced garlic. Sprinkle with half of the bread crumb and seasoning mixture, half of mozzarella cheese, and drizzle with half olive oil. Repeat layers. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly.
Recipe: Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 3 to 4 small ears of corn
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely minced jalapeno or poblano pepper
- Juice of one lime, about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro
- Dash salt and pepper, to taste
Grill or broil corn to char slightly; let cool. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Cut corn from cobs and add to the mixture. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving time.
Great alternative to sauces, and is especially tasty on grilled fish, chicken or pork!