One sure sign of fall isn’t the changing and falling leaves or the drop in temperature… it’s definitely the Pumpkin Spice Lattes EVERYWHERE!
While they taste delicious, they can be one of the unhealthiest things you can drink all year. Here are some of the most popular brands that unfortunately aren’t good for your overall health.
- Au Bon Pain Pumpkin Pie Latte – this latte packs 290 calories, 7 grams fat, 115 mg sodium, 49 grams carb, and 47 grams sugar. That’s 12 tablespoons of sugar!
- Krispy Kreme Pumpkin Spice Latte – this seasonal favorite contains 310 calories, 11 grams fat, 120 mg sodium, and 43 grams carbs. The one saving grace of this drink is that these amounts are for the smaller size 12 oz cup.
- McDonald’s McCafe Pumpkin Spice Latte – people are “lovin’ it” but it’s filled with 340 calories, 10 grams fat, 51 grams carbs, and 160 mg sodium. With 160 mg of sodium, that’s twice the amount of salt than a kid’s size French fries.
- Einstein Brothers Pumpkin Latte – this latte contains 370 calories, 10 grams fat, 65 mg sodium, 59 grams carbs, and 54 grams sugar. With 59 grams of carbs, that is twice the amount of a bagel… maybe it’s time to rethink your beverage of choice!
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte – this is hands down the most popular fall drink of choice (come on, it had its own trending hash tag!) and it is filled with 440 calories, 8 grams fat, 280 mg sodium, and 63 grams carbs. You would be better off eating a pumpkin cream cheese muffin – which actually contains fewer calories!
- Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Latte – this latte contains 470 calories, 13 grams fat, 250 mg sodium, and 71 grams sugar. And just because they offer three different flavors of pumpkin latte that doesn’t mean you are in the clear if you order one over another – they are all made up of the same nutritional content. You would be better off eating three of their chocolate caramel donuts!