- Plums, and their dried version known as prunes, are very high in phytonutrients, which function as an antioxidant and provide much benefit to the body.
- Eating plums helps in the production and absorption of iron in the body, thereby leading to better blood circulation leading further to the growth of healthy tissues.
- Because plums contain blood cleansing agents that help keep the blood pure, plums can help you reduce the risk of contracting heart disease.
Recipe: Chicken Breasts with Plum Salsa and Basmati Rice
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- ¾ pound plums, pitted and chopped
- ½ medium red onion, minced
- 3 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Place water in medium saucepan and stir in rice. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool and fluff with fork. In a bowl, mix the plums, peppers, onions, cilantro and sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Season chicken with rosemary, salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in skillet over medium-heat. Place chicken in oil and brown 1 minute per side. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 additional minutes per side. Serve over rice with plum salsa.
Recipe: Fresh Summer Fruit Salad
- ½ cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 15 seedless grapes, halved
- ½ orange, sectioned
- 10 fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 peach, sliced
- 1 plum, pitted and sliced
- 15 pitted Bing cherries
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
Bring water and sugar to boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the rhubarb, turn heat to low, cover and simmer until rhubarb is soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Mash and chill in the refrigerator about one hour. To serve, mix the grapes, orange, strawberries, apple, peach, plum, cherries, and blueberries with 2/3 cup of the rhubarb sauce. Stir gently, but thoroughly to coat. Refrigerate for at least two hours for all of the flavors to blend well.