We’ve all seen the avocado at the grocery store or at your favorite Mexican restaurant, but doctors are now stressing the importance and benefits of the avocado that go far beyond being just an ingredient in guacamole.
Some of these benefits include:
– Avocados have been shown to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.
– Avocados have more of the carotenoid lutein than any other popular fruit. Lutein protects against macular degeneration and cataracts, two age-related eye diseases.
– The high levels of folate in avocado are also protective against strokes. People who eat diets rich in folate have a much lower risk of stroke than those who don’t.
– Avocados are the best fruit source of vitamin E, an essential vitamin that protects against many diseases and helps maintains overall health.
– Avocado is high in oleic acid, which has been shown to prevent breast cancer in numerous studies.
– The vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, and glutathione in avocado are great for your heart.