Even though it may seem like winter may never be over, soon enough in just a few short weeks it will be. But before you gear up for spring and getting back outdoors to take in nature and get some exercise, here are some winter workouts that you need to make time for before the spring flowers bloom.
- Take a spin class. These intense indoor cycling classes can burn hundreds of calories and keep your bones strong.
- Put your swimsuit on and hit up the local indoor pool. Once spring and summer roll around no one wants to be swimming indoors, but on those cold winter days, nothing feels better than taking some laps in a warm swimming pool.
- Hit the wall and find somewhere with an indoor rock-climbing wall. This non-traditional cardio exercise not only exercises your body, but also your brain. It can also burn up to 650 calories an hour!
- Ice skating isn’t just for kids, figure skaters or hockey players. Visit your local indoor ice rink (or outdoor ice rink if you have one close by) and tone your legs, core and butt while having fun and stabilizing muscles that assist with balance and coordination.
- Try a boot camp workout. Inspired by military training, these “booty-busting” classes are gaining in popularity all over the country and combine strength training moves with high-intensity cardio for a full body workout.
- Put on your boxing gloves and pretend you are Rocky! Most gyms or community centers offer basic classes in boxing and because this is such a multi-faceting workout, you will notice that you are toning up more than bulking up the more you try it.
- Tai chi is another good winter workout to try when the winter blues have got you down. Tai chi is a low-impact exercise with its roots in ancient China. Tai chi helps balance yin and yang, improves cardiovascular health, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve balance.