- Leafy, green vegetables, like spinach, provide more nutrients than any other food.
- Researchers have found at least 13 different flavonoid compounds in spinach that have been known to act as antioxidants and as anti-cancer agents, combating specific cancers like ovarian and prostate cancer.
- The vitamin K in spinach provides 200% of the daily value in fresh spinach and nearly 1000% of the daily value in boiled spinach.
Recipe: Wilted Spinach Salad
- 10 to 12 ounces spinach, washed and torn into pieces
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 5 to 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, 1 chopped and 1 sliced
- 2 to 4 slices bacon
- 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Place prepared spinach in a large bowl. Add onions and radishes. Refrigerate, tightly covered. Fry or microwave bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel and set aside. In a small jar or measuring cup combine drippings with sugar, vinegar, water, salt and pepper. Refrigerate all ingredients until just before serving. When ready to serve, microwave the dressing on high for 30 to 45 seconds, or until mixture boils. Toss the chopped egg with the greens then pour the hot dressing over greens mixture; toss again lightly. Top with sliced egg and crumbled bacon.
Recipe: Spinach Lasagna
- 2 egg whites
- 26 oz of prepared spaghetti sauce
- 24 oz of ricotta cheese
- 10 oz of Lasagna noodles, cooked
- 10 oz of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped, then squeezed dry
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, grated, reserve ½ cup
- ¾ cup of Parmesan cheese, grated and divided, reserve 2 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare a 9-in. by 13-in.baking dish for lasagna. Prepare lasagna noodles as directed on the package, then rinse and drain. Combine parmesan cheese, ricotta cheeses with the egg whites, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Pour ¼ cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and spread it out using a spatula. Cover the sauce with a single layer of lasagna noodles. Spread about half the cheese mixture over the noodles, and then cover with about half of the spinach and shredded mozzarella cheese. Finish this layer with half of the remaining spaghetti sauce. Add a second layer of noodles, topping with the remaining cheese mixture, spinach, and mozzarella cheese. Top with the final layer of noodles and remaining spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle the reserved Parmesan cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set for 10-12 minutes.