Even though the holidays are in full swing it’s not too late to change your “holiday habits” that seem to be wreaking havoc on your body. If you want to avoid packing on the extra pounds as the holiday season rolls on, then take heed to these habit breakers.
- Stop surrounding yourself with sweets – If you are keeping Halloween candy out on the table or Christmas cookies on your desk, then you will easily lose track of just how many calories your sweets are taking up each day… Before you know it you will start looking like the jolly old elf himself!
- Stop avoiding the scale – Just because it is the holiday season doesn’t mean you should avoid the gym and give up on your weight loss goals entirely. Stay on track and keep your scale out in the open to serve as a constant reminder of weight loss.
- Stop avoiding the gym – This goes hand in hand with avoiding the scale (especially if you use the one at the gym!) Sure, everyone is busy around the holidays but giving up on your exercise regimen now will only make things worse when you try to start back up again… just remember how you feel after “doing legs” for the first time! Stay at it and keep exercising. You and your waistline will thank us later.
- Stop the stress – Yes, it may be easier said than done, but from shopping to relatives, the holidays can serve up their fair share of stress. Exercising is a great way to deal with stress. Plus, stress can cause illness as well. To make sure your immune system can handle the regular holiday stresses be sure to increase your intake of vitamin C and drink lots of water.
- Stop avoiding sleep – Between busy schedules and stress, many people become sleep deprived over the holidays. Missing out on quality sleep is linked to increased risk of infection, inflammation in the body, and low energy levels. So, get your 8 hours (or more) every night… or as often as you can!