- Watermelons are made up of 90% water.
- Watermelons are chock full of a considerable amount of vitamins A and C.
- They contain thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate and niacin in small amounts.
- They are a great source of potassium, and also contain magnesium, calcium, phosphorous and iron in trace amounts.
- Watermelons are also very low in calories, free of fats and cholesterol and are rich in carotenoids.
Recipe: Cajun Chicken with Watermelon Mint Salsa
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
Mix together the spices. Coat the chicken cutlets with the spice mixture. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and place chicken in pan. Blacken on both sides and sauté just until cooked through. Top with Watermelon Mint Salsa and serve immediately.
Watermelon Mint Salsa
- 2 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato
- Minced seeded jalapeno to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped fresh scallion
Toss ingredients together, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe: Grilled Scallop and Watermelon Kebabs
- 12 sea scallops
- 4 cups boiling vegetable or chicken broth
- 24- 1”x1” watermelon cubes
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
Cut the scallops into halves across the diameter to create half-moon shapes. Place them in a heatproof casserole dish in a single layer. Pour the boiling clear broth over the scallops and let them poach for 5 minutes. Drain and cool the scallops. On each skewer alternate one half-moon scallop, then two watermelon cubes, then one half-moon scallop. Mix together the remaining ingredients and brush the kebabs as they are grilled over a medium-hot grill for 90 seconds per side, turning only once. Serve warm.