- The history of date eating can be traced back to almost 6000 B.C.
- There are various forms and kinds of dates, and the ways to eat dates are endless.
- The fruit is packed with vitamins and minerals essential for daily intake, and is linked to preventing abdominal cancer, constipation, heart problems and even sexual problems.
- The date also is ideal for daily intake because it helps digest food and prevent overeating.
Recipe: Date and Banana Cookies
- 3 oz. dried dates
- 3 oz. walnuts, finely chopped
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 6 oz. oats
- ¼ pint liver or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Mix everything together really well and put tablespoons of the mixture onto an oiled baking sheet.
Flatten them down a bit and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden.
Recipe: Date and Egg Breakfast
- 3 Tbsp corn oil
- 1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in skillet and stir-fry onions until golden. Add dates, pepper and stir-fry over low heat for 3 minutes.
Make four depressions in date/onion mixture and add one whole egg to each depression. Sprinkle with salt and fry for 3 minutes to cook eggs.