- The beta-carotene in carrots is an antioxidant combating the free radicals that contribute to conditions like cancer, heart disease, and a few other conditions.
- Cooking carrots actually raises the nutritional benefits of this great vegetable. By cooking them you free the beta-carotene from the fiber, thereby allowing your body to better absorb the beta-carotene.
- If you eat just a half cup of carrots each day you will get more than the recommended dosage of beta-carotene in your diet.
Recipe: Creamy Carrot with Curry Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds peeled carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half (or whole milk)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Garnish: Chopped pistachios
Heat oil in sauté pan until shimmering. Add carrots, then onion, sauté until golden brown (about 7 minutes). Reduce heat and add butter, sugar, and garlic; continue cooking about 10 minutes longer. Add curry and sauté a minute longer. Add broth and simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft, about 10 minutes. Using a blender, puree in a blender for about a minute. Return to pot and add enough half and half so the mixture is soup-like, yet thick enough to float the pistachio garnish. Add salt and pepper as needed.
Recipe: Banana Zucchini Carrot Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into large bowl. Add bananas and mash. Add grated zucchini and shredded carrots. Mix well. Add sugar, vanilla and beaten egg. Sprinkle in baking soda and salt, and mix. Add flour and mix well. Pour in 4×8 loaf pan to two large muffin pans. (Yields one loaf or 12 large muffins.) Bake loaf for 60 to 75 minutes. Bake muffins for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool and serve.