When the weather outside is cold, it’s easy to get lazy and to lack the motivation to even get out of bed some days. The low winter light and cold temperatures can combine to make even the most resilient people want to just lie down and hibernate for the winter. So how can you stay motivated when it seems like everything is keeping you down? Here are eight tips for staying motivated during the winter:
1. Set Goals and Document them- By keeping a physical list of things you would like to accomplish it keeps your goals fresh and at the top of your mind. Not only are they easier to rate in order of importance but you will also see them on a daily basis. As a result you will feel more inclined to want to check things off your list.
2. Set Deadlines- Set clear dates of when you need to complete things by, whether they are long term or short term goals. By giving yourself a deadline, you will work harder to keep them.
3. Reward Yourself- Giving yourself incentive for meeting your deadlines and reaching your goals is a great way to actually accomplish them. Whether you allow yourself to buy something nice or a day of pampering at the spa, you will work harder to do things when you know there is a reward at the end.
4. Be Inspired- Listen to motivational tapes and/or read motivational books to help gain some inspiration to keep going.
5. Breathe- Learn to breathe correctly. You will instantly feel more relaxed and when you are more relaxed you will also be more apt to stay motivated than when you are stressed.
6. Stay Positive- Keep a positive attitude. Even though it is easy to be depressed when the long, cold winter months drag on, try to remain positive and you will notice that motivation comes along with being happy.
7. Progress not Perfection- Remind yourself that progress is what is important and not perfection. This is especially essential when you are looking at your long-term goals, as they may seem more unreachable. Remember all of the short-term goals that you have met and you will be more successful.
8. Support- Build a support system of friends and family members that are typically motivated. By keeping like-minded people close to you, you will become motivated by just being in their presence. In addition, according to msnbc.com one of the best ways to stay motivated is to feel challenged by a friend. Buddy up with someone in order to hold each other accountable for your own individual goals. You can challenge each other to reach certain goals and then celebrate together once you hit them. You won’t believe how much more accountable you will be when you know someone else is right on your heels.
While these are only a few tips to get you motivated during the next few months, everyone is different, so do what works best for you, and you will see that spring will be here before you know it!